Withdrawal Policy

Authority (i.e., Executive Order, ICSUAM, Delegations of Authority):

The University is required by Federal regulation to calculate a Return of Title IV funds for all students who withdraw during a term. The policy applies to students who discontinue enrollment in all classes, on or after the first day of the term. The Return of Title IV Funds is the amount of unearned aid you received at the beginning of the term that must be returned to the assigned federal aid programs.  Any aid received in excess of the earned amount is considered unearned. The earned portion is calculated on a daily basis using calendar days from the first day of the semester.

Title IV – Return of Financial Aid

Policy Objective

  1. A university withdrawal must be done when a student needs to drop all courses and leave the University.
  2. If the first day of the semester has not yet begun, students may cancel their course schedule online without any assessment of tuition or fees.
  3. Once classes have started, students who are planning to drop all courses and leave the University for any reason/s during the term must contact the Registrar’s Office prior to their departure to complete the withdrawal process. Unless this procedure is followed, students will receive failing grades in all courses.
  4. If students do not attend and do not cancel their courses before the semester begins, they are financially responsible for applicable assessed tuition and fees. There are no exceptions to this cancellation and withdrawal procedure.

Policy Statement

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the University's official withdrawal procedures.

Failure to follow formal University procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term.

Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Registrar's Office in the Student Services Building, (415) 338-2350.

Students who receive Financial Aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the University regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period.

If a recipient of student Financial Aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Students who decide not to attend some or all of their courses after registration are required to officially withdraw through SF State Gateway or through the Registrar’s Office.

Otherwise, students will be held responsible for all charges on their accounts.

Charges are based on the beginning of the term or session, not the class start date.