Departmental Deposit FAQs

Departmental Deposits are quick and easy!

Below is a list of the most frequenly asked questions regarding deposits from staff and faculty members.

Departmental Deposit Processing Questions

The following should be supplied when cash and cash equivalents are presented for deposit at the service windows:

  1. Deposit Tally Sheet1 and/or Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit Approval Form1
  2. We recommend placing the cash and cash equivalents in a sealed envelope or tamper-evident sealed deposit bag, to prevent loss while in transmission/delivery

1 The type of form used depends on whether or not the department has an established CRS or Item Code number.

  • If the department has an established CRS or Item Code Number, then only a Deposit Transmittal Sheet is needed.
  • If the department is processing a transaction that is infrequent and does not have an established CRS or Item Code number, then BOTH the Deposit Transmittal Sheet and the Miscellaneous Deposit Approval Form are needed

Contact information helps with any additional questions that may arise based on the deposit activity.

Accounting may have follow-up questions regarding the back-up documentation or the transaction itself that the Bursar's Office may not be able to answer.

Departments who do not participate in frequent deposit activities or whose deposit activities vary may not find a need to create an Item Code.

In those instances, using a one-time Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit Form allows the Accounting Office to review and verify the chartfield to be used for the funds deposit before the cash or cash equivalents are dropped off to the Bursar's Office.

Endorsement Stamp Questions

The endorsement of a check ensures that if it is lost or found, it cannot be deposited by another person or entity.

This helps protect the funds issued by the payer and provides extra assurance that the funds are processed towards our SF State bank account and most importantly does not keep the check "live" and unclaimed.

Departments can submit a request via our ticketing system where a reply with instructions will be issued.

Instructions include:

  • The chartfield for which to charge the purchased endorsement stamp (the stamps are $50 each, with a max of 2 per department)
  • Where to go to sign-off and pick up the new stamp
  • Old endorsement stamps with outdated account info or in the old format must be forfeited/traded when picking up your new stamp

Chartfield Questions

The general ledger chartfield, or just "chartfield" for short, is a series of numbers that contain the needed account and fund information to properly record all revenues and expenses into our accounting books.

At the very least, when a chartfield is requested from a Fiscal Affairs team member, departments should supply a:

  1. Account Number: This is a 6-digit numeric number explaining the type of revenue or expense being used.
  2. Fund Code: A 6-character alpha-numeric or numeric-only fund code that explains the established fund being impacted.
  3. Department Code: A 4-digit numeric code issued to each respective department to further specify whose budget it being impacted.

Optional Chartfield Segments (as needed/requested):

Contact the Accounting Office or your respective budgetary manager/director for more information on whether or not this is required for you.

  • Project Code
  • Class Code
  • Program Code

Departments can either contact their department budget team or Trust Fund Accounting to confirm their chartfield information.

CRS Number and Item Code Questions

A CRS number is a code that was used in our Accounts Receivable Management (ARM) legacy cashiering system, used for departmental deposit recording.

An Item Code is a code created in the new cashiering system, CASHNet (effective 2014), used to quickly reference a specific chartfield account combination to streamline the deposit process for departments and the Bursar's Office cashiering staff.

In 2014, SF State migrated to a new cashiering system (CASHNet) where CRS numbers were imported into CASHNet, but many are outdated.

To better catalog and reference our chartfield information, we are phasing out of the use of CRS numbers to Item Codes, to ensure we are using the most recent account information to best handle the funds received at the Bursar's Office.

An Item Code Request Form can be submitted to Eleanor Callado, University Bursar, via email at

If you prefer to fax, the fax number to use is (415) 338-7787.

Item Codes are approved and ready for use within 5 - 10 business days.

Departmental Deposit Delivery and Return Questions

Cash and cash equivalents should be dropped off in dual custody.

We do not recommend staff and faculty walk through campus unless they are either walking with a UPD escort or another colleague.

If you do not have anyone available, please call the Bursar's Office so we can arrange a time to walk with you to one of our two office locations to complete your deposit.

The funds should be secured in a sealed envelope or tamper-evident sealed deposit bag to prevent loss.

Departments should prioritize the depositing of cash and cash equivalents to the Bursar's Office on a regular basis.

We understand this may be difficult to do so on a daily basis, however, deposits of cash and cash equivalents should be delivered to the Bursar's Office for deposit within a maximum of 2 (two) business days for processing.

We highly recommend the use of a secured vault for departments to store cash and cash equivalents until they are delivered to the Bursar's Office for processing.

If one cannot be purchased, a locked box with limited and documented access, held within a locked desk drawer is sufficient.

If your department no longer receives cash or cash equivalents, you may drop your endorsement stamp off to have your stamp recycled/repurposed.

Unfortunately, there will be no crediting/refunding for doing so. The stamp will be logged back into our inventory for future use or discarding.