Bursar's Office Inquiry

Please visit the Bursar FAQs page for answers to our most common questions related to fee payments, financial holds, refunds, financial aid, and other general questions. For all other Bursar inquires, please complete the form below. 

If you are a student requiring assistance, you will receive a response via your SF State email. If you are a parent/guardian, your response will be sent to the email provided. For optimal service ensure all fields are completed and a SF State ID of the account you are inquiring about is given. 

Please enter a detailed description of your request.

Why can't I access my student's information? (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. In accordance with FERPA, students 18 years of age or older have the right to their academic records and schools may not release any personal information without consent.

What is the full schedule of tuition and fees?

You can check the full schedule of tuition and fees by the following link: https://bursar.sfsu.edu/students_services

What is a Student Financial Obligation Hold (SFO)?

A campus financial obligation hold is placed when there is any past due balance left outstanding on a student account.

How can I remove my SFO Hold?

Students can remove their SFO hold by paying their past due obligation. After making the payment, the hold will release by midnight.

What is an S2 Hold?

An S2 hold prevents students from enrolling into classes until payment in full is made for tuition & fees. A $25 Late Registration Fee and $20 Administrative Fee will apply.

How can I remove my S2 Hold?

To find out how to remove this S2 Hold, visit our website at: http://bursar.sfsu.edu/new_updates_page.

How much am I getting from Financial Aid?

You can find how much financial aid you will be receiving in the “Finances” section of your student center through SFSU Gateway. On the left of this section, you will find a link labeled, “view financial aid.” Select the aid year you are looking for, then select “view scheduled disbursement dates” to view the total aid that will disburse to you for the semester.

Can I expect a Financial Aid refund?

Once tuition & fees are paid, any excess funds will be applied to any other outstanding charges remaining on the student account (i.e housing charges, student health center fees, lab fees etc). After all remaining charges are paid, students will be eligible for a refund.

When can I expect my refund?

If you are enrolled in direct deposit, you should expect to receive your refund within 5 business days after the original disbursement. If you are not enrolled, expect a check within 2 weeks of original disbursement to the mailing address you have on file (update via student center).

Will I owe any out-of-pocket payment?

If you are not a financial aid recipient or your financial aid award is not enough to cover the entire balance on your account, you will be responsible for paying the remaining balance out of pocket by the given due date. Information on dates and deadlines can be found on the Bursar’s office home page http://bursar.sfsu.edu/ under the tab “student information” > select term > “important dates and deadlines.” Information on due dates for specific items can also be found in the finances section of your student center. On the left, you will be a tab labeled, “other financials..” in the tab you will find “charges due” This page will provide you a breakdown of the remaining charges on your account with a specified due date.

When is my tuition due?

To avoid a $20.00 late fee, please have all tuition & fees paid by February 15th, 2018. You will be unable to register for the upcoming semester with any remaining charges on your account.

How much do I need to pay?

Depending what your status is as a student, your tuition fees will vary.

Undergraduate tuition for CA resident students:
Part time (6 units or below): $2,423.00
Full time (6.1 units or more): $3,629.00

*Please note that these tuition and fee charges do not include lab fees for particular courses. Once you add the class, you will see the lab fees on your account.

Graduate tuition for CA resident students:
Part time (6 units or below): $2,840.00
Full time (6.1 units or more): $4,346.00

*Plus any applicable tuition/program fees below:

Non-Resident Tuition Fee - $396 per Semester Unit

Non- resident of California and International students must pay $396 per unit.

Graduate and Professional Program Fees (Business Matriculating Graduate Students)

*Graduate students in the College of Business will be charged an additional Graduate Program Fee of $700 (for 0 to 6.0 units) or $1,200 (for 6.1 or more units) and a Professional Program Fee of $270 per unit.

Note: Graduate Students in the Master of Arts in Economics program are not subject to the additional Graduate MBA program fee.

Graduate and Professional Program Fees (Public Administration Matriculating Graduate Students)

*Graduate students in Public Administration will be charged an additional Graduate Program Fee of $430 (for 0 to 6.0 units) or $850 (for 6.1 or more units) per semester.

What are all of these fees for?

Tuition consists of two types of fees:

  1. Tuition fee goes to help support the entire CSU system.
  2. Local campus fees go to help support the specific CSU you are attending. Here at SFSU every student will help support our university by paying the following fees:

          Student Body Center     
          Rec. & Wellness Center     
          Student Body Assoc.     
          Student Health Svc.     
          IRA- General     
          IRA- Athletics    &nbsp
          Student Fac. Fee     
          Campus Svc. Card     
          Student Involvement & Re      
          Gator Pass Fee     

How long does a refund take to process?

You should expect a check within two to three weeks after submitting the Refund Request Form to the Bursar's Office. Otherwise, for unofficial withdrawals and/or cancellation of classes, refund checks will not be processed until after the 60 percent of the attendance period.

What refunds are due before/after a drop deadline?

Classes dropped on or after the first day of the semester are subject to a pro-rated refund up to the 60% point in the semester (less a $20 refund processing fee) if you official withdraw and notify the Registrar’s Office, and submit a completed Refund Request Form to the Bursar’s Office.

What refunds are due after I withdraw from SF State?

Full Refund - Students who officially withdraw from the University prior to the first day of instruction will receive a 100% refund, less a $20 administrative fee and un-refundable Campus ID Service Fee of $2, of mandatory tuition and campus fees, and other applicable program fee/s, and non-resident tuition.

Pro-Rata Refund - Between the first day of instruction through the 60% date of the semester, refunds will be on a pro-rata basis using the official withdrawal date. Students are not eligible to receive a refund for dropping all classes or officially withdrawing after the 60% date. The pro-rata refund will be calculated by the number of CALENDAR days from the first day of the semester to the date of withdrawal. Refunds will first be applied to any outstanding debt owed to the University.

What campus fees are non-refundable?

• Application Fee

• Credential Application

• Orientation Fee

• Orientation Guest Fee

• Fee Late Registration Fee

• Administrative Fee

• Dishonored Check Fee

• Installment Service Fee

• Course Fees if associated course is not dropped before the 1st day of the academic term

Franchise Tax Board (FTB)

Franchise Tax Board (FTB) website

Collections/Past Due Obligations

The University reserves the right to cancel student’s classes for non-payment of campus fees and other obligations from prior semesters/years. A financial hold is automatically placed which prevents future registration and other services. The University or its agent has the right to pursue collections in order to repay a delinquent debt owed.

If you are in collections, you must dispute with ConServe:

Mailing Address:
200 CrossKeys Office Park
Fairport, NY 14450

Phone Number: (800) 724-7500

Fax Number: (585) 421-1028

Email Address: correspondence@conserve-arm.com

2016 1098-T Forms are now available in your Student Center/Gateway

Log into your  SF State Gateway (MySFSU) Student Center and under the "Finances" section, click on the drop-down menu and select "View 1098-T." From there, you should be able to view all available tax years and click on the year that you need.

When and where should Departmental Deposits be delivered?

All checks and cash received by departments must be delivered to the Bursar’s Office for processing no later than the following business day. 

How should Departmenal Deposits be prepared?

All Departmental Deposits will require a Departmental Deposit Tally Sheet --that can be found here: http://bursar.sfsu.edu/Forms-and-Documents/departmental-deposit-tally-sheet

Checks must be endorsed with the endorsement stamp on the date of receipt to prevent being negotiated if lost or stolen 

What if my Departmental Deposit does not have an endorsement stamp?

If you do not have an endorsement stamp, please contact the Bursar’s Office to request a stamp. Endorsement stamp costs will be charged back to the department. 

I can no longer use my CRS number, so how can I obtain a new Item Code for my Departmental Deposits?

Eff Oct 2018- Departments using CRS numbers are being asked to transition from their use and to obtain a new CASHNet Item Code for their departmental deposits. This will expedite the deposit process and improve the record management between the Bursar's and Accounting Offices. 

For more information on Departmental Deposits, please visit: http://bursar.sfsu.edu/Faculty-and-Staff/departmental-deposits-0

When and where can I redeem my reimbursement money?

 8:30am-5:00pm at ADM 155, First Floor--Window A 

Who can redeem my petty cash voucher?

The requester must redeem the reimbursement money. 

If someone else is picking up the reimbursement money instead of the requestor, a memo authorizing the person to pick up the reimbursement money and ID card is needed from the requestor. 

For more information on Petty Cash, please visit: http://bursar.sfsu.edu/Faculty-and-Staff/petty-cash-1

How do I submit a request for changes to financial data on student accounts in Campus Solutions?

  • To request a posting or removal/reversal of charges and/or payments on a student account, please click the “Other” radio button and send your request. 
  • To request a payment applier on a student account, please click the “Other” radio button and send your request.  

How do I submit a request for a group posting of charges and/or payments to a student account?

  • Departments who need charges or payments posted to Campus Solutions (CS) must first ensure that each charge or payment has been assigned an item type in CS. If no item type has been assigned, click the “Other” radio button shown below and enter a detailed explanation of the charges or payments an item type is needed for.
  • If an item type is already established for the charges and/or payments, prepare an excel file with the information as detailed below:
    · Column A – Student ID number
    · Column B – Amount of charges and/or payments
    · Column C – Reference data to be reflected in CS
    · Column D – Term in which the charge/payment should be posted to
    · Column E – Item type of the charge/payment
  • Please note that you must create a separate file for charges and payments (these cannot be combined in the same file)
  • Each respective file must have the same item type throughout the file.
  • Once the file is prepared, please email it to shayh@sfsu.eduand cc grr@sfsu.edufor upload to Campus Solutions. You will receive a confirmation once the file is uploaded. If the upload request is time sensitive, please specify in the email.

How do I request a Student Financial Obligation (SFO) hold release?

To request a hold release, please click the “Other” radio button below and provide the student ID number for which the hold is to be released.

How much do I need to pay?

Depending on what campus services you have utilized, your fees will vary. Fees may accumulate from the Library (Rentals, Lost Library books, etc.), the Student Health Center/Pharmacy, etc. 

How much are the lab/course fees for the courses I am teaching?

Lab/course fees are determined by the department in which you are under. Please reach out to your department for more information on specific course/lab fees. 

When will my employee fee waiver be applied?

Once you have submitted your paperwork to Human Resources, they will then forward your information to the Bursar’s Office for waiver coding. An email confirmation will be sent by HR to confirm that it has been sent to our office. Please allow 1-2 weeks for coding. 

For all other general information, please visit: https://hr.sfsu.edu/profesional_development/feewaiver

And find their FAQ’s here: https://hr.sfsu.edu/sites/default/files/Fee%20Waiver%20FAQs.pdf

SF State Students are required to use their SF State email. Due to FERPA​ regulations, we will not reply to students' external email accounts.
Faculty, staff, and students, please provide your SF State ID. You can use the Look Up SF State ID using SSN & Birthday service to look up your SF State ID. If you don't have a SF State ID, please enter 999999999.
If you wish to be contacted by phone, include your phone number with area code.

If you are unable to use this form, send e-mail to service@sfsu.edu.

Rehabilitation Counselor

To submit an Authorization letter for a current or future semester, please email your documemtation to bursartpc@sfsu.edu

External Financial Aid Counselor

To find the status of a current or past semester scholarship, please email bursartpc@sfsu.edu.

Veterans Counselor

To submit an Authorization letter for a current or future semester, please email your documemtation to bursartpc@sfsu.edu

Other Clients/Vendors

To submit a financial guarantee letter or authorization letter, please email documentation bursartpc@sfsu.edu.

For questions regarding a current financial guarantee on file, please email bursartpc@sfsu.edu for more information.