Departmental Deposits - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Departmental Deposits are quick and easy!

Below is a list of the most frequenly asked questions regarding deposits from staff and faculty members:


1. What  information and documentation is required in order for the Bursar's Office to process my departmental deposit?

The following should be supplied when cash and cash equivalents are presented for deposit at the service windows:

* The type of form used depends on whether or not the department has an established CRS or Item Code number, where only a Deposit Transmittal Sheet is needed -or- if  the department is processing a transaction that is infrequent and does not have an established CRS or Item Code number, in which case both the Deposit Transmittal Sheet AND the Miscellaneous Deposit Approval Form are needed. 


2. Why must checks received in our department be stamped with an approved university endorsement stamp?

The endorsement of a check ensures that if it is lost or found, it cannot be deposited by another person or entity. This helps protect the funds issued by the payer and provides extra assurance that the funds are processed towards our SF State bank account and most importantly does not keep the check "live" and unclaimed.


3. How can our department obtain an endorsement stamp?

Departments can submit a request via our ticketing system where a reply with instructions will be issued. Instructions include:

  • The chartfield for which to charge the purchased endorsement stamp (the stamps are $50 each, with a max of 2 per department)
  • Where to go to sign-off and pick up the new stamp
  • Old endorsement stamps with outdated account info or in the old format must be forfeited/traded when picking up your new stamp


4.  What is a general ledger chartfield and why is it necessary?

The general ledger chartfield, or just "chartfield" for short, is a series of numbers that contain the needed account and fund information to properly record all revenues and expenses into our accounting books. At the very least, when a chartfield is requested from a Fiscal Affairs team member, departments should supply:

Account Number: this is a 6-digit numeric number explaining the type of revenue or expense being used

Fund Code: a 6-character alpha-numeric or numeric-only fund code that explains the established fund being impacted

Department Code: a 4-digit numeric code issued to each respective department to further specify whose budget it being impacted


Optional Chartfield Segments (as needed/requested): (contact the Accounting office or your respective budgetary manager/director for more information on whether or not this is required for you)

Project Code

Class Code

Program Code


5. Where can I locate the chartfield information for my department to have a deposit processed?

Departments can either contact their department budget team or Trust Fund Accounting to confirm their chartfield information.


6. What is a CRS number?

A CRS number is a code that was used in our Accounts Receivable Management (ARM) legacy cashiering system, used for departmental deposit recording.


7. What is an Item Code?

An Item Code is a code created in the new cashiering system, CASHNet (effective 2014), used to quickly reference a specific chartfield account combination to streamline the deposit process for departments and the Bursar's Office cashiering staff.


8. What is the difference between a CRS number and an Item Code?

In 2014, SF State migrated to a new cashiering system (CASHNet) where CRS numbers were imported into CASHNet, but many are outdated. To better catalog and reference our chartfield information, we are phasing out of the use of CRS numbers to Item Codes, to ensure we are using the most recent account information to best handle the funds received at the Bursar's Office.


9. How can I request a new Item Code for my department?

An Item Code Request Form can be submitted to Eleanor Callado, University Bursar, via email at If you prefer to fax, the fax number to use is (415) 338-7787. Item Codes are approved and ready for use within 5-10 business days.


10. Why do you need my contact information to process a departmental deposit?

Contact information helps with any additional questions that may arise based on the deposit activity. Accounting may have follow-up questions regarding the back-up documentation or the transaction itself that the Bursar's Office may not be able to answer.


11. What is the purpose of the Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit Approval Form?

Departments who do not participate in frequent deposit activities or whose deposit activities vary may not find a need to create an Item Code. In those instances, using a one-time Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit Form allows the Accounting Office to review and verify the chartfield to be used for the funds deposit before the cash or cash equivalents are dropped off to the Bursar's Office.


12. What are the safeguarding requirements for departmental deposits  until they are delivered to the Bursar's Office for processing?

Departments should prioritize the depositing of cash and cash equivalents to the Bursar's Office on a regular basis. We understand this may be difficult to do so on a daily basis; however, deposits of cash and cash equivalents should be delivered to the Bursar's Office for deposit within a maximum of 2 (two) business days for processing. We highly recommend the use of a secured vault for departments to store cash and cash equivalents until they are delivered to the Bursar's Office for processing. If one cannot be purchased, a locked box with limited and documented access, held within a locked desk drawer is sufficient.


13. How should departmental deposits be delivered to the Bursar's Office?

Cash and cash equivalents should be dropped off in dual custody. We do not recommend staff and faculty walk through campus unless they are either walking with a UPD escort or another colleague. If you do not have anyone available, please call the Bursar's Office so we can arrange a time to walk with you to one of our two office locations to complete your deposit. The funds should be secured in a sealed envelope or tamper-evident sealed deposit bag to prevent loss.


14. How do I return an endorsement stamp if my department is no longer receiving cash or cash equivalents?

If your department no longer receives cash or cash equivalents, you may drop your endorsement stamp off to have your stamp recycled/repurposed. Unfortunately, there will be no crediting/refunding for doing so. The stamp will be logged back into our inventory for future use or discarding.